Friday, May 27, 2011

Who is Aaron King?

Name: Aaron King

Koncept Design Group

Tell me how you got started in this field?

I went to college for production and started my own production company. We produced commercials for companies including National Car Rental, L’Oreal, Skil Tools and many more. I then transformed my company into a full service interior design firm that specializes in hospitality, however we still produce commercials, and I have also designed for corporate spaces and residential spaces.

What educational background or related experience might be helpful for someone entering this field?

An education in Interior Design is extremely helpful because you learn the codes and standards. However, an education in any field of art and design is helpful because you learn to train your eyes to see things in ways that most peop

le aren’t able to and that is helpful for Interior Designers also.

What are the opportunities available for growth in this field?

There are so many different avenues you

can take within design and many career paths you can take even in a very specific area of design.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

I hope to expand my company and be busy enough to employ a full time staff of five to ten designers.

Does the market look promising for people starting out in this career?

Through this economic recession I have had to lay off designers and cut back on hours simply because the work wasn’t there. Right now it seems the economy is picking back up and things are starting to get busy again. So yes I think that this career is looking promising for people who hope to get started in the next few years.

What do you find most rewarding about this job?

I love seeing my designs and ideas come to life, having a vision and making that vision a reality.

Are there any fringe benefits that particularly attracted you to this field?

Owning my company is beneficial because I am able to make my own hours, attend my sons little league games and also volunteer in the community. I have also had paid traveled to some great places while working on commercials.

What are the toughest challenges you have had to deal with?

Budgets and working on a project that has many clients and satisfying all of them.

What workplace demands do you have outside of the actual job?

It’s hard to leave work at the office. People are constantly calling the cell phone or emailing and needing answers or clarifications.

How much flexibility do you have in terms of hours, dress, etc.?

My hours are incredibily flexible because I am able to make all my own appointments and meetings. Dress is also flexible because its just me and two other designers in the office.

Do you have a favorite project that you worked on? What was it?

At Koncept Design Group we work on the designs for many Marriott Hotels. I enjoy the variety in designs we are able to achieve. I also did a private residence in Long Beach that remains on of my favorites.

Marriott LAX Airport: J.W. Steakhouse

Marriot LAX Airport : Porte Cochere

Private Residence Long Beach, CA







1 comments:

Ashley said...

Love the designs of these spaces! Use of lighting is such an important aspect of design, if not, the most important! This story is true success!!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger